Wednesday 9 July 2014

Letter to Aunt Ethel from Faye

Dear Aunt Ethel,

We were just in Illinois last week end to meet April,
who came from her job in Charlottesville, Virginia to celebrate Mom's 85th birthday and uncle Amiel  and Lorraine's 40th anniversary.

Reading the Gieske family history reminded me to read the Beazly's again.  When I did I thought of several questions that only you may be able to answer.

1.  Was the family farm in County Cork the same land that was given to "Lord Beazly"?

2.  Was it a reward for civic service or military service?

3.  Since William the Conqueror brought soldiers over from Normandy and elsewhere in Europe, does anyone know if the Beazly's came from the continent then, like maybe France?

4.  Did the Webbs have to leave Ireland after your parents did?  Since they are living at Bristol it made me wonder.  Someone said there is a caravan dealer named Webb still in Ireland.  Do I have that straight?  Sis told us how she left Ireland.  It is hard to imagine anyone hating her enough to shoot at her.

5.  What was Uncle Willie Moore's story you referred to?  Something about the Revolution.... My Grandma was a Moore, but we have only traced back to Charleston where a Moore married a Furr from N.C.

Beverly went looking for the church in Ireland where your ancestors are buried, and she did find the place.  Someone pointed out an abandoned house where the family used to live.  I think she took a picture of a tombstone about a year ago.

One more question: that beautiful flow blue willow ware you had in your living room, was it your mother's or grandmother's china?

Our business is booming right now, but it isn't like this all year round.  George is selling the same house and 5 acres he sold his first year.

Beverly is spending a few days in London trying to make up her mind about her next contract.  She may go back to Sydney, Australia.  The Chase Bank offered another contract where she used to work. Eventually she says she will go back to Florida.

My brother Edwin has a branch in England now.  He goes over for a month at the time.  His only son got married quietly last month to a nice level headed girl.  They live in Nashville, which is Edwin's home base.

                                                                                            Love Faye

RESPONSE

Dear Faye and George,

My writing has gotten terrible since January when I had a pacemaker put in, so Glenn said he would type this up for me.

1.  Yes, Cork is the largest city in the county of Cork.

2.  I'm not sure what the grant of Lord Beazly was but you could find it in a city library all I can remember of William of Orange was what Dad's sister, Aunt Minnie Howe told me -- now if the paper I had written up had William the Conqueror then that is right.  My memory was better then than now.  It must have been about 1600, I know it was a long time before Queen Victoria.  The grant of land across the south of Ireland, Dad had only about 40 acres of land left when they came to the US in 1892.

3.  No, perhaps that's the reason it's spelled Beazly, not Beasley.

4.  I think I remember Uncle Eddie Webb moved to England at the time and helped his son in Bristol.  When the folks and I were in Ireland Mother's brother married a girl by the name of Sarah, I have no idea when she died, then Uncle Eddie married her sister, Eva.

5.  All I know about Uncle Willie Moore, he was married to my mother's sister.  Mother said she talked too much and made the IRA mad and had to leave Ireland.  There were several families that had to leave Ireland, and came to our house in the 1920's and scattered throughout the country.

I would like to have a picture of the grave stone.  I'll send it back.  Was the Webb house a 2-story house that you drove up to, with the barn attached to it at the back, windows on each side of the front door both up and down?  If it was a one story house, it was the ruins of my father's old home.

I would like a picture of the grave stone, I'll send it back.

One of Uncle Eddie's sons lived in the Webb house about 1940, when Jim and Evelyn went for a visit.  The Blue Willow ware turkey platter was mother's and brought it from Ireland.  If your mother has rough white platter, that one is over 200 years old.  I gave that to her so it would stay in the Beazly father.  There is a platter just like it on the mantle in the soap "As the World Turns" in Bob's and Kim's house.






t

No comments:

Post a Comment